Tuesday, November 17, 2009

If cut but not bound and the power of Power Point

Following up on the last posting, I created a quilt label using my normal process. With a picture already taken of the finished piece, and stored on my hard drive, I launched Microsoft powerpoint as if I was creating a slide show. This is simple if you have even basic power point skills. I sorted through the slide themes and chose one I wanted for a background. Using INSERT... a Picture... from the drop down bar up top, I browsed my picture file til St Antimo's church was found, then selected it and used the open button on the screen to insert the image onto the slide background. After that, I inserted various TEXT BOXes and inserted text to my likeing. Finally its time to print. I print the first print on paper even if I plan to make a fabric label. I make any corrections I think necessary before I print on the fabric sheet. Both printed images essentially look the same in this picture, just one is on fabric and will become the label sewn to the back of the quilt. In this case, because this piece is being framed like a standard painting, I will post the paper version on the back...paper side of the frame.

Lastly, If you have blocked, and cut a quilt that is to be framed, it would be wise to straight stitch along the edge of the freshly cut edges. The edges in this picture were cut several days previous, and while the piece was carefully handled, you can see ends of threads were starting to lift. I happened to use monofilament clear thread to stitch twice around within 1/8 inch of the edge so you can mostly just see the needle holes, but thread is there. Before doing this, adjust pressure on the pressure foot of your machine so little pressure is on the quilt surface. Lots of pressure could easily re stretch your blocked quilt.

No comments: