Thursday, October 23, 2008

WOW PIQF was spectacular



Home from PIQF.. preparing to leave for teaching at Houston.... My my ... fall is busy in this industry. I was really taken by the number of quilts from throughout the world. As always, the U.S., Japan, the UK, Australia and Canada were well represented. South Africa offered some exceptional quilts too. SOOOOOO many outstanding quilts without ribbons. One quilt that knocked me out as well as everyone else was that of a 70+ year old Japanese lady with over a 178 thousand quarter inch pieces to create an unusual flower garden quilt. All I kept thinking was ...WHY? Here's a closeup of the 1/4 inch hexagons used to create a small rose. No one could get a clear shot of this piece. Crowds were ever present. My friend Hilary (shown with a puzzled look) is representative of everyone viewing this piece. Double click on the full view to see greater detail showing what appears to be somewhat larger than quarter inch pieces but are in reality... many hexagons of the same fabric. Mind blowing.

No comments: