Monday, July 16, 2012

Brick By Brick

I do begin each rocky adobe brick by blocking in a base color avoiding ink in areas where lighter rocks or pebbles will be represented in the brick. I am photographing one small brick fairly close up and admittedly on a vertical rather than as it actually will be viewed horizontal. This will be clear later.
Then. since the brick surface is truly irregular, I've done a rubbing of an uneven textured surface laid underneath the fabric. In this case I used a rubbing plate but I have been known to use the texture from real life walls, fences, trees... whatever. In fact as I sit in mexico right now as I write, I recall doing a rubbing the very first time on the exterior walls of my dwelling... very rough stucco... PERFECT for adding texture to a piece.
You may also note the inference now of different colors than from when we began. Nature isn't really all one color... so to keep it interesting, other neutral colors ( now gray tones) get added and pebbles and shadows more refined.
The wall builds upward.

No comments: