Sunday, November 20, 2016

BIG WOW Wool on Wool

New friend Bev Ziese  of Irvine, Ca has become a star in wool applique. I was asked to quilt this piece for her and what an amazing journey it was for me.  I had quilted wool applique before but never atop wool background, and not with this level of  gorgeous detailed beading and embroidery!  There's always something new to learn.  I chose a thin batting 50% cotton, 50% poly (the poly for holding shape).   Here's a view of the piece as it was coming off the longarm . I want to show you some of the beautiful applique detail following this.
 The are 24 separate blocks on this exquisite wall quilt. EVERY BLOCK is different.  Beading, embroidery, french knots... just beautiful!! Here is a sampling...














 lastly... I love this little acorn! 
Some know I like to use this blog for teaching opportunities.   If you loved these wool applique... they are part of the Jacobean Wool Patterns purchased from ThreeSheepStudio.com. 
Quilting wool?  I knew the stitches would sink into the background wool... and  thus I changed /lengthened stitch length to  only 8 stitches per inch. I think that worked well for me. Many of these gorgeous patterns include beads and embroidery at or outside the edges of the applique. As a quilter... just deal with it.... you may not be able to get as close to the applique as you'd like for an outline stitch, but so what!!!  My take on this kind of work...  the applique speaks for itself... Don't try to compete with too much quilting! 
CONGRATULATIONS BEV!!!!! 




1 comment:

Robbie said...

Wow, wow, wow! First off this quilt/blocks are wonderful!!! And, once again, your quilting has just enhanced a beautiful piece!