Saturday, January 25, 2014

Who Knew? This birdie could be so 'cool!"

Two summers ago, I painted this little birdie in 100 degree weather. It was hot hot hot as I traveled/vacationed in Mexico. The snow bunting here represents the long cold winters I spend in the mountains of California.  (Yes there are a few cold spots here at higher elevation.)
But for detailed images ... the background ( or what I label Winter's Veil of cold... was painted in a wet into wet watercolor style.)
  Hairdryers have always been a best friend to watercolorists.
Why not quilters too?!

Once quilted and faced... this small piece thrills me as it tells MY story of season life.  I'm happy to say it received 1st place honors at Road To California Quilt Festival this week. Click on photo for enlarged view.

No comments: