Friday, August 6, 2010

Heartwarming Heroes Quilt

Nothing is more satisfying to a teacher than seeing how inspired students take off and do their own thing... so hats off to Cynthia Wilson who I met while teaching at Houston last year. With her permission, I have posted her quilt and story.

Cynthia wrote:Hi Patt, I took your portraiture class last year in Houston. You may remember. I painted a picture of Jill Scott, the actress/jazz singer. When I got home I practiced, and practiced. I did a portrait of my father and each of my three grandchildren and gave the wall hangings as Christmas gifts. I then started with celebrities and finally settled on personal heroes of mine. I showed some of my portraitures at my guild meeting (Annapolis Maryland Guild). It was suggested that I make a quilt out of my portraits. I have enclosed a photo of the quilt for you to take a look at. I am also pleased that Dorothy Height did get to see my quilt when it was first completed. My sister friend, who pieced and quilted the "Heroes" quilt, Bernerdett King, and I took the quilt to the National Council of Negro Women Headquarters for Ms. Height to see it. The quilt was also displayed for a couple of months at the opening of the "African American museum of Prince Georges County".

No comments: