Monday, August 23, 2010

Maybe better than a birthday card!

I share a birthday with a member of one of my friendship groups. Carol Brodie of Corona California is our group matriarch... a refined beautiful lady with a like home. When I was last at her home, I received 3 windsor lace doilies from Carol's doily stash. I knew that moment that one would return as a table runner of sorts. So, I selected a brocade in her favorite home decor color, made a pattern that echoed the shape of her doily.. and got to work.
I cut 2 brocade pieces and 1 low loft batting that larger pattern shape of the doily. I stitched along the edge thru all 3 pieces, then made a 5 inch slit in the middle of one of the brocade pieces. The slit's location was directly beneath where the opaque center of the doily would later rest. Once 'birthed' through the slit, the resulting piece was formed and lightly steamed to lie flat. I then quilted the perimeter of the piece about 3 inches from the outer edge... all the way around. After that, atop went the doily which I quilted in pivotal locations to secure the doily and center of the runner piece underneath. Carol loved it... so it is already sitting atop her table. Click on photos for closeup.
I have 2 doilies left... yeah!

No comments: