Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Fast and Small Binding

When I bind rather than face an art piece, I like a small bias binding because:
1) a quarter inch front view narrow binding doesn't distract from the central quilt image,
2) a bias binding does a better job of turning a neat crisp corner, and
3) I kind of think it looks neat... as in tidy!

The fast part of this equation comes from both what binding I use
1) pre made bias binding...like Modas 2 1/2 inch doubled over to 1/ 1/4 inch width, and
2) how it's applied.

Here's the how....
A. First I block, dry, and square up the quilted piece.
( If I'm not able to complete the remaining steps right away, I will likely loosen the downward pressure foot pressure and run a straight stitch all the way around the quilt as close to the edge as practical... like 1/8" from the edge. This process minimizes the potential for trimmed up quilt stitches to unravel.)

B. When ready to bind... I lay the ready to go bias binding right along the trimmed edge and sew 1/4 inch from the edge. As with any binding job, I allow enough length to join the start to the finish.

C. I roll the bias binding from front to back machine stitching as I go from the front in the bias binding ditch. I use as small a thread as I have for this.... like a mono filament or in this case a black 100 wt. invisifil thread. There's plenty of overlap on the back to catch these stitches because remember we are only showing on the front 1/4" of the 1 1/4 inch binding.
Talk about fast.... and it's crisp and tight!

No comments: