Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Day with Lisa E.

What a blast I had with this class. First, I am seldom in the states when Long Beach Quilt Festival is held, so when this year was different, I decided I would take and play in several surface design classes. The first with "Letterista" Lisa Engelbrecht of Southern California. I chose this class because Lisa uses Acrylic Inks in creating background for text and well as text. Since I haven't been a great proponent of anything acrylic on fabric, I decided to play and see. I knew some acrylic paints were getting more fabric friendly... I would also say these inks seem to be. I tried 2 types... FW and Liquitex Inks. I most liked the FW acrylic.
(available at dickblick.com or any sizeable art supply store) Here's Lisa's site info. You may want to check her out.

Here's a photo collage of backgrounds fancifully painted with inks on heavier muslin and or light canvas.
these were fun!!!

I still have to experiment with these on lighter fabric I enjoy, but I recognize why Lisa chose a slightly more rigid fabric as she letters atop them.
Look at some of her beautiful work:
then there's my very favorite piece.... spectacular!!!!! Double click for real closeup.

1 comment:

Maria said...

So fun to see! I wanted to take that class, but it ended up that the trip didn't work out for me. Maybe another time. Looks like you learned a lot.