Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Face Off Back Story

I'm home. I have the Dragon faced so I'll review how that is done as that is the most commonly asked question I get about finishing a faced quilt. So, all the quilting stitching is done. Now what?
First thing I do is BLOCK the quilt flat. I wasn't at home when I did this part so I did this atop the king sized bed over which there was a rotating ceiling fan. Pretty good actually. At home I usually do this either pinned to a sheet atop a carpet or atop a piece or 2 of 4 x 8 insulation board.

NOTE: One or 2 clicks on each picture will enlarge photos for greater clarity of review.

Spread the quilt out as smooth as it goes and spray it damp with a spritzer bottle. "Smoosh' it (that's a technical term) really flat and pin into bed/carpet/board allowing it to air dry nice and flat.
Once dry, measure measure measure... mark square up lines and cut. I immediately add a 2" border of sorts( all 4 sides) using approximately 1/8 inch seam allowance. IF you can't get to the ' facing border' addition right away.... add a stay stitch on the edge of your squaredup/cut quilt. Just trimmed quilted thread ends will start to lift up otherwise.
Once all sides are on... from the top side of the quilt top... barely off the quilted seam line on the added border, 'stay' stitch (just a straight stitch) through the 1/8 inch seam allowance.

Now for a more finished edge when the facing is turned to the back.. press under appx 1/4 inch of the raw edge (all way round) and stitch.

Now we'll work 2 opposite sides of the quilt with this process... say both sides of the quilt top. Later, we'll do the opposite sides.. say top and bottom.

For this part, you will work at your ironing board ( a big board if you're lucky) with your steam iron, and lots of pins. Steam ROLL facing from front to back... slowly progressing the length of the one side, carefully pinning as you go.
Once that air dries, carefully 'bind' with a hand needle removing pins as you go and making certain your 'stay stitch line ' is clearly visible from the back. Repeat this process on the opposite side of the quilt before continuing.
You'll now have 2 sides of the quilt that look something like this at the ends of the 'bound to the back' facing.

Time now to eliminate all possible bulk by... trimming excess fabric at the to be turned corner. I also snip even the tiniest excess of batting off the very corners. It's not much, but I think it will matter later.

Now time to steam ROLL this facing from front to back with a mitered turn at the corners. As before.. steam and pin as you go, allowing it to air dry before progressing.

As before... hand needle 'bind' this edge before repeating the process on the opposite side of the quilt back.
This whole process seems tedious taking the better part of the day... but honestly, it is relaxing and rewarding as the long project is near done at this step. It's honestly one of my favorite things to do. Hope this helps....
I'll later cover the addition of sleeves and labels. Now, I think I'll have a cookie to celebrate! :-)

No comments: