Tuesday, May 3, 2011

First Weekend In May

With rare exception, each year on the first weekend of May, the city of Sedona, AZ hosts an open studio tour with a dozen of more artists. This is part of why I come here at this time of year. It's always exciting to see how other artists work in very different ways. This year, my most exciting visit came in the studio of well-known artist Mary Fisher. I saw her African Faces quilts at Houston IQA in 2009. Mary is a tireless AIDs activist, painter, quilter, fiber artist, textile designer. Read and learn about Mary at MaryFisher.com.
I have a few pictures from her studio, recognize please what you will see here is less than half of her personal studio. Her studio is 2 enormous work areas... one related to painting/dying(not seen here), the other related to fiber and beading.
Mary loves fiber...including quilts, and embroidery/embellishment on paper.

I thought I had a fabric/ art medium stash that wouldn't quit. Nope! Can't compare to this studio. Needless to say, Mary has hired help with studio management.

No comments: