Friday, May 4, 2012

Frameing the Outer Border

This border is here to support the central image. I have no desire to draw attention outward so the quilt patterns chosen will simply need to support Lenny... just like a physical frame would. First thing done was to chalk line mark the straight lines I wished to create. ( some might just use a walking foot to create uniform lines instead)
Then, because I'm just planning to use a regular pressure foot, I'm reducing the downward pressure of the foot by adjusting the pressure foot dial.
Straight line stitching follows.
Lastly... one of the subdued design elements would be a matching thread to fabric value 'channel' of meander quilting mostly to create a bit more stablity in the border. This being free motion work, I ofcourse changed to a single hole plate to improve quality of stitching.
I never free motion quilt without my supreme slider... It's much easier to quilt your piece as your pushed or pulled quilt glides much easier.
I quilted in a confined within the lines meander that creates a stabilizing almost floating channel. I liked it.
Once the chalk lines are erased, this quilt is done but for binding which will be done by the quilt owner. Lenny has now headed home to Montana.

2 comments:

Mary Couch said...

Your blog is a fabulous text book! I love the way you teach, your careful photos, and the encouragement!
Hugs from Mary

Patt Blair said...

Mary.. I am humbled by your positive comments. i"ve been asked many times if I will publish a book. Someday... maybe my answer but for now, I'm happy to share knowledge this way. Thank you for following.. Next up... I'm starting on prepping for a 60 foot map of historic Route 66. ( "What was I thinking when I committed to that one??!! ) Grins ...Patt