Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Quilt For SAQA

I am starting the quilting process on a 12" x 12" piece that will become part of the 2015 SAQA ( Studio Art Quilt Associates) September Auction supporting the advancement of the Art Association.  When you attend a major show like Houston International and see large gallery exhibitions, you can know some part of this to be auctioned piece helps makes that happen.

 The quilt top is a custom giclee print (of one of my oil paintings) on fabric. I am working on silk so you will see sheen on the surface as light reflects like crazy... a good thing!  I am starting here to lay in some thread work in the mane and face.  The question for me these days is what NOT to quilt.  Click on photos for enlarged view
I am saving the white areas and white thread til last... almost there.
The white areas of the mane are fun and stand out the way I intended in the original painting..... BUT... I think it needed a tiny bit of securing so as not to stand apart too much. 
He is pretty well secured.  Next post I'll work on the luscious red and black silk background.

No comments: