Thursday, September 29, 2011

One More Water Soluble Idea

I've become obsessed with this experiment phase of looking at non traditional sources for quilting motifs. I have to stop playing but it's kind of like eating potato chips.... "Just one more" I keep saying. Here I found this scrapbook paper of an interconnected/overlapped stem/leaf pattern that might be great on a nature oriented quilt. The plan... same as before, using a fine tip permanent marker, tracing a pattern atop a piece of water soluble stabilizer then quilting on the traced lines before dissolving the stabilizer.
In this example, I stitched atop black fabric though have left the stabilizer on still as this is a sample for an upcoming quilting forum. Notice how 'shiny' the stabilizer is. It is because it is a medium to heavy weight one... i.e. thicker. This can be dissolved, though it's more work than the lightweight stabilizers shown in earlier postings. I've tried dissolving both, and much prefer the lighter ones for this process.

2 comments:

Superior Threads said...

I love the pattern you did. I'm like you, I just want to keep playing with water Dissolve stabilizer. So many things that can be done with it.

Ricci

Patt Blair said...

Hi Ricci... Dissolve is a great product, by the way. Thanks for the nice words. Patt