Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back With BEN

Remember my last year painting of my Gentle Giant Mountain Gorilla? He hung on my design wall for sometime and eventually named himself Ben. I have been longing to get back with Ben and get him quilted.... so here goes.
He's got a good sized face... about kitchen table size. He's pinned and ready to go..... I begin by using monofilament top (smoke) and bottom (clear) to secure the perimeter of his eyes, and his craggy wrinkles under his eyes, over the top of his 'nose' and along the top of his cheeks. It's sometimes easier to quilt upside down,
For the really deep wrinkles, I stitched on the outer perimeter of each side of the wrinkle. For small wrinkles... a stitch straight in the middle ( deepest part of the wrinkle) seemed to work for me.
This area represents the very center of the quilt. I will begin to work mostly inside out headed toward the outer edges of the quilt. I will however possibly have some small detail areas that I come back to. Next up.... BENs big nose.



No comments: