Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Using NON Quilting Media for Quilting Templates

I'm prepping for a quilting forum on this subject and have created a few samples to reflect related ideas. I'll post some of them over the next week or so. This one... from a last year quilt titled Proud Heritage called for an elegant but subtle background for a spanish folk dancer I know. I wanted something akin to flocked wallpaper but with more class.... so I found a flourished scrapbook paper with the 'answer'.
I then created a simple (traced) black and white contour drawing over which I placed a sheer water soluble stabilizer. Using an ultra fine permanent sharpie, I traced the drawing onto the stabilizer.
The above stabilizer process will be repeated as needed.
I pinned the stabilizer to the quilt top and outline quilted the image carefully following the drawn lines.
I tore off the excess outer edges of the quilting outline .
Then following the instructions, I wet and dissolved the stabilizer away, allowing the quilt top to dry before proceeding.
The rest was easy.. some tiny micro stippling around the outlined image and the results speak well, I think. The 'knocked down' background makes the outline quilting look much more difficult than it actually was.

The finish is one of those backgrounds that judges like... It was a surprise finish they didn't see from a distance...like here. Judges like nice surprises.

No comments: