Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Rubbing On A Quilting MOTIF

I love working with rubbing plates and even natural surfaces when I'm adding textures to my paintings, but DUH... it only now occurs to me that I might purposely use a rubbing plate for a quilting pattern motif. I just grabbed a plate that was 1/2 wood pattern, 1/2 brick pattern.
In this test, I used my Tsukineko Transparent Inks atop a piece of light valued modeled fabric ( a hand dye ). Placing the Rubbing plate underneath the fabric, then using a brush tip fantastix fiber stick to rub across the fabric surface and create an interesting surface design.
Once dry/ heat set, it can be used as 'the plan' for quilting.
The brick pattern worked too.

1 comment:

Justine said...

Thanks for the idea Patt! I have these plates to use with Shiva sticks but I don't like the smell of Shiva, so they have been ignored.