Thursday, October 15, 2015

Creating a Dramatic Border

I decided it would be fun to place a border on this dramatic piece.  There is not likely a more dramatic color combination than red and black... so thats where I'm headed.   It is my intent to place a 1/4" fillet of red textured cotton between strips of black on black batik.
1) The simple part first: Using  a 1/4" pressure foot, I added black on black strips of 1 1/2" width around the silk.
2) I then cut small strips of red fabric for the  1/4" fillet.  This will hopefully make sense later, but I actually cut 1 1/4"  width of red fabric strips and added them to the previous round of black



3) Now I cut 4" black on black batik strips I will shortly add all around using a different than 1) and 2) seam process.  Even now, I don't think I will want 4" width at the outside edge, but I always cut a width at least 1" wider than I 'think' I want when all is said and done. I like having 'options' for later.

4) The trickier  1/4" fillet part comes now but don't sweat... it's easy if you use your pressure foot and previous seam lines to guide your stitching.   This step is a seems a bit backwards cause we are working from the backside. This will be done 1 side at a time... I did both sides... before doing top and bottom. First the prep.  You will  " PIN from the FRONT ...  SEW from the BACK"  as shown below. 

a)  PIN from the FRONT process: The 4" black strip  is pinned  face down above the face up top... .. working right sides together, the right edge of the red fabric lines up the edge of the  4" black strip.   This should be pinned in place along the edge. This is done with right sides together though I am using a black batik here so it looks the same both sides.   Note.. for easier reader understanding, I have offset the black about a 1/4" from the red but honestly, I generally do line the edges up together. 

b) Mark before Sewing!  Since you will be using the left edge of you pressure foot to line up with the previously stitched seam,  you will want to use a marking pencil to draw lines where needed to reflect an extension on lines needed as stitching guides.

c)  SEW from the BACK process. Now using stitching across the width of the quilt , do so keeping the left side of the pressure foot lined up with penciled extensions at outer edges and the previous stitch line in the central body of the quilt. .

d) Press this seam before moving to opposite side. Looks cool, yes?


e) Once  the two sides are done, repeat  4a) thru d) steps for top and bottom. You'll again need to pin then pencil mark your pressure foot guide line.
and stitch as before 
Now pressed, the fillet of red really stands out.  Trimming of edges yet to be done.
 What you see below is more extreme than I want, but I'm playing by turning borders under now/ trimming later...thinking I might use a slightly asymmetrical border.   Maybe an 1" off the top and left border would be interesting.
Next, the quilt sandwiching process will clearly differ from the norm of cotton quilts. 

No comments: