Friday, November 12, 2010

"Outside My Window" complete

This image is inspired by a combination of photos I took in the canyon, beginning of course with the Scrub Jay photographed from my dining area window. I was marathon woman to get this done. Yesterday as I quilted leaves, the wind blew through our canyon at over 60 m.p.h. It was already cold so the extra wind chill was most unwelcome. It did however help to keep me inside at my machine. Happily, by evening I was working on the facing, label, and sleeve. Today, all is complete on this project so I can go to the next thing on my list!

Earlier in this process, I was uncertain about my choice of variegated thread in the air flow background. All said and done, I'm happy with the combination of dark teal, light teal, near yellow, and a burgundy/blue twist. It really made the air flow texture prominent.

"Outside My Window" will travel next year to multiple venues including amongst others, Road To California, and Mancusco Bros shows.

2 comments:

Laura T said...

I love this quilt of the Scrub Jay! You were certainly a marathon woman- I cannot believe how fast you completed it. You must have been really inspired to create. Love how you photograph the process to let us see as it helps and inspires me. Each quilt shows something different:) Also congrats on your 2nd place win at Houston - I really loved the piece and the story it told.
Laura T

Unknown said...

I saw this quilt at the Road to California this past January and fell in love with it. Gorgeous! And what a treat to find out that you're based in one of my frequent weekend spots (we hike the Baldy area regularly).

-- Colleen @ Made By Colleen