Monday, October 24, 2011

Border and Quilt

Continuing on from previous post: I first chose to add a border because this piece is so small ( about 12 x 12" ... it asked for one!;-) I wanted to keep it in a light simple palette much like the background of the collaged piece. Because it still called to me for a bit more rust, I inset 1/2" channel of light rust in the border. I maybe could have gotten away with a slightly smaller width inset, but I like this overall.
After securing the border seams with monofilament top and bottom (I used a new Sharp needle size 70.), it's time to quilt. I chose a variegated brown/tan/black 40wt poly to outline the stenciled areas. One could almost get away with stopping quilting after this. I wanted a wee bit more.
For all stipple haters, I apologize.. I'm using a micro ( REALLY small) stipple to fill in between the quilted stencil areas. I used a light variegated 'sand' color.. again 40wt poly to knock down the background in order to show off some of the elements.
I like that little birdie...It was a stamp that I colored in with Tsukineko inks (my overall favorite working media).
I also did some other minor securing of elements with other colored threads, and now, I think we're about ready to move on to finishing... besides, I must now leave the studio to go pick up my 72 yr old hubby from his college overnight field trip to the desert. He likes hanging out with 'kids.'

No comments: