Friday, April 11, 2014

How To Quilt A Stitch No 2: A Curly Q

This is a fun "filler" stitch that takes a bit of time but is worth the investment. I'm using a 40 wt thread here... Much more than that might not be to your liking as this stitch employs stitching atop previous stitch lines.  This is where we are headed.

Begin your first Curly Q by completing a stitched circle then adding a curly Q in the inside of the circle and stopping.

You then back track over previous stitching til you get all the way back to where you began  ( another couple stitches to go in this example ( It was a good photo op where I stopped). 
Once connecting to the beginning of the circle you can continue along the circle a stitch or two, three, four ( i.e. whatever is needed to start another Curly Q circle at the same or different size.   Have faith, It will fill in the intended  quilt area nicely most likely with ONE continuos stitch line.

Responding to 2 comments/ questions:  1. Back tracking is a stated problem for some.   IF I could give any advice.... the best one is to give yourself permission to GO SLOW!  It gets easier with practice too... but going slow is your friend!!  2.  Q.What weight of bobbin thread did I use on this stitch.  A. I believe I had Bottom Line 60 wt.  ( Superior Threads) in the bobbin this time but for most of my quilting work, I am using a monofilament in the bobbin... That means... no need to 'fill' the entire bobbin, wind the bobbin a bit slower so as not to stretch the thread, and lower top tension... sometimes as low as it can go.

2 comments:

Denisehyeong said...

What weight thread do you use in your bobbin when you are quilting with the 40 weight - I love the look!

Robbie said...

It's the traveling back over that always gives me the problem...nice pattern!