Thursday, April 8, 2010

Student Beth... Take A Bow

I can't tell you how thrilled I am when a student sends me pics of completed projects began in a class. This image began with one of my patterns and a CD/DVD training package on Simple Thread Painting specifically on this image. So Beth Stanton took a class with me, took the thread painting CD/DVD home and look what she did.. WOW... I am impressed.

With her approval, here's Beth's pictures and comments:

Hi, Patt -- thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my version of "Take a Bow" that I started in your class at Road to California. I just finished it this last weekend and am really happy with the results.

I don't know if you remember but you demo'd the watercolor technique on the foreground on this and by the end of class it had dried and was too light and I said that I'd work on it at home which I did and, in my opinion, got it just right.

I also did some additional dark background work when I got home and got a HUGE drop of the dark blue ink on her skirt. Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little bit, but the drop was at least 1/4" across. Thank goodness it was in a spot that I could cover up with opaque white and turn into a flower...can you figure out which one?

I was a bit concerned when the thread painting distorted the skirt section so horribly that I thought I'd ruined my pretty painting, but your video said that I'd probably see distortion so I kept going, hoping beyond hope that it would work out, and it did! I think she's beautiful even if her arms and the top of her legs are a little wrinkly (see the detail photo). I have a plan for the next project that I hope will lessen that.

I enjoyed the class immensely and hope to start working on one of my own photos soon. Thank you!!

Beth Stanton
Wrightwood, CA

closeup

No comments: