Thursday, March 22, 2012

Quickie Baby Gift Project

I know , I know I am an art quilter and this isn't in that vein at all... but I saw this is a shop in Texas and thought it was a great baby shower gift to go with the other things I am planning for an upcoming arrival. Check out the clever use of a diaper as a 'burp' cloth.
The one above was bits and pieces of colorful scraps pieced together, then stitched down the 'thick' center channel of the diaper. In the case above... the maker rotary 'pinked' the long edges and stitched them down with a colorful rick rack.

New diapers are less than $1.50 in 10 packs so I'll make a bunch and plan to use fabrics and rick racks I already had 'stashed.'
First the only time in this diapers life... it will be pressed it flat.
Then comes a piece of fabric (I chose preshrunk flannel).. cut 5 1/2 inch wide by 1 inch longer than the diaper.
Fold and press to the back side 1/2 inch on both sides and ends.
Flip over to have right side up.. pin additions of any embellishment in place and prepare to stitch. This bargain table soft rick rack is perfect for a baby's face.
These are so cute.... I had a couple types of flannel so used both.

No comments: