Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Foreshortened Hand

EEK... I had to let the creepiness of this go. The hand coming toward the viewer looks plain wierd. AND the thumb looks longer than normal because it wasn't coming forward. I wasn't certain my camera lense caught the woman's hand image correctly (a depth of field concern) so I photographed my own hand similarly outstretched forward in a mirror and decided.. yep... that looks wierd too.
As a painter, I have serious talks with myself, repeatedly reminding myself to " just paint what you see" and not worry about the distortion that comes with foreshortening. I did find it interesting to note that the soft underside of the fingers and palm help the viewer understand what is happening here. The light edges, pink fingertips, were interesting to paint in contrast to the shadowed back side.

No comments: