Saturday, July 9, 2011

The WINTER Backdrop

The dreary drippy aspect of winter dampness needed to be reflected in the background of the sparrow. A controlled application using a dry brush approach seems out of the question as it won't readily reflect that dampness of which I speak. So.. WET application it is! The tools needed: a misting spray bottle containing clear water, a hair dryer ready to go (to slow minor bleeding into unwanted areas) when/if needed, a ironing board across the room with iron ON if needed later to immediately stop excessive bleeding,a simple foam paint brush, a small bowl of water/ background ink mixture. I chose a blue grey mix.
Armed and ready, The background is misted with clear water, leaving fabric near the sparrow UNMISTED. Next step, carefully apply the ink/water mixture as a background wash, all the while watching for bleeding in unwanted areas.
Note the background is slowly approaching the sparrow's head so the hair dryer is put into service.
WORKED! Had the bleed moved quickly, I'd have been on the move to the ironing board.

While the rest of the background was quite wet.. I sprinkled table salt atop here and there for subtle texture and movement.
A bit of fine tuning will follow and soon a finished product.

1 comment:

Karen S said...

This is an amazing technique. Thanks for showing it so I can add it to my arsenal.

But I have to say -- you're much braver than I am; I think I would have done the background first, just in case...