Sunday, July 17, 2011

Seeking A Uniform Stitch Length

Can you believe it..? Painting stitches! This woman wore a jean jacket with white stitching across shoulders, on collar and cuff edges. The obvious first thought might be to stitch them in by machine, but dang... this gal is a wee bit larger than life so that would seem kind of funky to me. I started painting stitch by stitch then figured out, there's got to be a better way. In to be 'stitched' areas, I first did a light value dry brush 'wash of color likened to the jean jacket. I know from experience that if I left them completely white, the would be in your face as a viewer. Then, using a dark blue marker, I began systematically spacing stitches painting in the negative space.
After that, the inking of the jacket was painted to 'meet' the stitch lines and I think it looks okay.

No comments: