Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Fox Quilting Part II

So this is where we were when the quilting sandwich was first put together. The white fox had been backed with a stabilizer when it was only a "TOP" piece. Then fairly heavy thread work was done on the fox itself...making certain the outer edge of the contour was not fully quilted as I planned to finish that area after the quilt sandwich was complete and the background area immediately surrounding the animal was quilted. That's exactly where we are now.
The original thinking was that I would more heavily quilt the fox than any other areas and the first 'pre sandwich' step would minimize the potential for surface distortion. That said, here we go... I first rethreaded the machine with the same white thread I used earlier, and then quilted/integrated the fox with the background by allowing some white fur stitches to overlap with the background.
At this point, I acknowledged the earlier discomfort I felt with the puffiness on the Fox body. So, since we get to change our mind from the original plan, I used the white thread to add some texture quilting atop the threadwork originally done. I definitely appreciate the improvement in the natural look of the Fox. He simply has more character now.

No comments: