Friday, December 30, 2011

Signing Off and Let's Face IT

I've said before I love signing my quilts NOT because I like looking at my name but because it means the QUILTING IS ALL DONE!!!!! Yeah. I usually sign my name in a less obvious place so as not to take any attention from the central image. This piece, being an exhibition piece is meant to have viewers know who did it so it will be a bit more prominent than some of my pieces... I first use a ruler to draw washout blue lines for upper, mid, lower positioning of each letter. I do everything in lower case because it feels right and is easier as well. I use 40 wt thread , sign each word/name forward... then backward thus ending where I began. I then move on to the next word/name and do the name, ending with a dot on the "i".
Trim threads, spray wet with water and allow to dry.
When you have clearly squared and trimmed your quilt, it's time to bind... or in this case FACE IT! I generally prefer this method on art pieces. I cut 2" strips that match the backing and sew them on the edges like a second border. IMPORTANT... I sew approximately a 1/8" seam as this will later be turned toward the back and offer less bulk. This looks a bit strange, I know...
(c) copywritten image)
Next, I iron turn under about 1/4" of the raw outer edge.
From the front, stitch that turned edge down.
One more round of stitching from the front...this time on the 1/8" seam where the 'border' is attached to the quilted piece. This stitching is done just a 1/16" off the seam ditch.
From here we begin working on 2 opposite sides first... then the remaining 2 opposite sides. This will take some time but will be well worth the effort as you will have clean/tight turns front to back... a nice finish!!!!!
Work on 1 side... spray wet the 1/8 in seam and slowly, forcefully roll and iron press the 'border' to the back... (When you see that 1/16 stitch line rolled toward the back... you've done well.) I use plenty of straight pins to pin this 'til it completely dries and holds shape. You then hand stitch the turned edge to the back. Repeat this process on the opposing side of the quilt.



When both of the 2 turned back sides are hand stitched down at the turned edge, you move on to the next opposing sides which are done the same way THOUGH you may end up trimming away some bulk at the corners where you have multiple layers of fabric.
Once these 2 final opposing sides are hand stitched down.... It's time for a sleeve.

No comments: