Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Lion's Base

This is really a pretty strait forward decision about how to quilt. The "real" base for the giant lion sculpture is an enormous concrete pedestal... only a portion of which is seen here. It ofcourse is hard and solid... so straight line, close together stitching eliminating any poof between quilt lines is the call. The original painted fabric was already darker at the corners and often, a lighter thread across dark is no big deal... but in this case... I wanted the darks so much darker that I'm not opposed to inking across thread already quilted in. This would not necessarily work so well in quilts being washed... since I'm putting ink over polyester thread. It would hold better over 100% cotton thread, but that doesn't thrill me for this piece, PLUS, I seldom if ever have need to wash a wall piece.
You might be wondering what I am doing with the patina base of the lion itself. Nothing is the plan.. I like it the way it is and because this is not a large quilt with large unquilted areas, I can get away with it. Happy Sunday all!!

No comments: