Thursday, December 1, 2011

Now I live in The WINDY CITY

I thought Chicago was the windy city... but most of So. Calif. is blown like crazy with 80-90 mile and hour winds last night. Landscape and pool companies are making a lot of money doing clean up today. My mountain home is without power at all so I dodged fallen rocks on the mountain road and drove down to the studio for "light' and electricity. Even Mother Nature supports my need to have multiple sewing machines!!! Yeah! I need to quilt!

Today's focus is to get the Wrigley Field scoreboard done. Because the lettering on the sign is not large, I had no desire to quilt around every letter so I straight stitched a rectangle around the stadium and team name lettering then using small meandering, knocked down the red background outside the rectangle. That worked for me... Next because I (and most of the country) think of this place as a national shrine to baseball.... I chose vertical (stand up at attention type lines) on the side panels of the scoreboard... Design principles support this decision and the next. On the bottom red area of the scoreboard... I chose straight line horizontal lines mentally suggesting stability. It's Wrigley Field and the Cubs after all. They have a VERY devoted fan base... ie... stable. I know this all sounds a bit 'heady' but I do think about feeling stuff and design principles when selecting quilt lines. It makes decisions easier!!!


On the black area of the scoreboard (Cubs 4...Tigers 1... an important long ago World Series score).. I used parallel sets of straight lines above and below text and numbers. I know the really old scoreboard information postings were made up of sets of individual text/ numeral panels slid into grooved channels at top and bottom.
After this..I got out my black ink and darkened lighter value black to be BLACK! I needed a strong power-like black to show off the Cubs WIN! I also cleaned up some of the red area.... I wanted solid color... no "kind-of" red areas for this piece allowed.
The building itself needs finishing so that's coming.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I live in Pomona, Ca. and work in Corona, Ca. We did not loose the light but the wind has been blowing very hard. Lots of trees and tree limbs are down. Stay safe and it great that you have two places to sew.

Kathleen M. Jones